My daughter (3 years old) is OBSESSED with My Little Pony. So, for Halloween, she insisted on being Fluttershy. I have to admit, I was not very keen on the costume choice. I Googleג for ideas. My options were pretty limited to an outfit with a silk screened pony image, maybe some ears, potentially a tail…. very very boring. Also, I wanted her younger brother to match with her. I thought another pony costume would be much too feminine, so decided on Spike (the purple dragon). When all was said and done, their costumes were total hits, and here’s how I made them:
I bought a pink wig (adult) + cut out the bottom couple rows. The main part was still big enough to cover her head, and with an elastic band, the bottom served as the tail. I had yellow fleece lying around (life of a crafter), so I got started on the dress. It’s a basic pillowcase pattern. One seam down the back (rectangle), cut out armpits, a casing at the top front and back and ribbon through. Super simple. I didn’t bother with hems (fleece doesn’t fray). For the ‘Cutie Mark’ (butterflies), I used sparkly foam from the dollar store, cut the shapes, and glue gunned on. I bought 3$ wings, covered in the matching fleece and attached the tail to them. For the mask, which really made the costume, I bought a cat mask (1.25$), covered with the yellow fleece, and added cotton batten to the ‘nose’ section. I then used white and black foam, a blue felt pen, and scissors to make the eyes. Overall, I was really happy with the final product and most importantly, my daughter loved it.
I used 1 meter of purple fleece and half a meter of green. I literally laid one of my son’s sleepers down on the purple and cut out a silhouette. There’s seams up both sides (from shoulders to ankles). I cut straight up the center of the back and attached the spikes. The tail was stuffed with cotton batten and attached by hand. I cut a circle out of green and also attached by hand for the tummy. The hood got spikes and was attached to the body piece by machine. For the eyes, I used foam (same as Fluttershy) and glue gunned on. To get in and out of the costume, I attached snaps up the legs (this also made diaper changes easier). It ended up being a great boys costume (he growls when he wears it) and super comfy for running around in.