When my son told me he wanted to be Sonic, I tried to talk him into being something else because I had no clue how I would make it. He had made up his mind though and would not change it. So I got to thinking and decided I would try and make it with duct tape. I got a pair of footie pajamas and filled them with clothes, lots of clothes to stretch the pajamas out as much as I could before adding the duct tape. Duct tape doesn’t stretch! The next part was adding the duct tape.
Most of Sonic’s body is blue except for the belly. I started with the belly and then added the blue. I ended this part by making the shoes. I was so pleased when it was done, it just might work! I couldn’t wait for my son to wake up so he could try it on! Next morning my son wakes up and is so excited! He tries his costume on and it does not fit! Oh no! His excitement quickly faded :( I assured him I could fix it while hoping that I could. That night I cut the feet off and extended them up as well as making Sonic’s blue legs longer so that they overlapped, covering the four inch gap that was once there. Yay, problem solved!
The next morning I had a happy boy again! It took me a couple of days to figure out the mask, a lot of brainstorming! I got a plain masquerade mask and a winter hat that attached under the chin with Velcro. I attached the two together so that I would have a guide for where the eyes and nose would go. The nose also created a hole for breathing. I then got to duct taping. I started with the eyes and the mouth. I made a raised outline by folding duct tape together and then filled it in. The hole for my son’s nose is actually the opening for the mouth on the mask.
Once I had the white of the eyes and mouth taped, I covered the rest of the hat in blue. Then I painted on the eyes and added a nose. I was so excited! When my son woke up he was so excited to try it on, only he couldn’t get it on his head because it did not fit! You’ve got to be kidding me! I couldn’t believe it. My son was once again disappointed. :( I assured him again that I would fix it hoping I would be able to. So I cut up the back center of the mask and extended it out with duct tape. Yay! It fit.
Now for the spikes. I gave a lot of thought to this part too and ended up using card stock that I rolled into a cone shape. I attached the cone to the hat, cut a piece toward the end to make it bend and covered it with duct tape. I did that five times and then I had a completed sonic costume. It all fit, it surprisingly looked like Sonic and I had a super happy six year old. Yay! Success.
We got some great pictures and headed out to our church fall festival. He wore the mask for a short while and then wouldn’t wear it any more. Later I asked him why, he told me there was something sharp inside that hurt him. So I checked it out. Turns out it was the masquerade mask inside. So I got out my duct tape and fixed it for him.
We got ready for trick or treating, took some more great pictures and headed out. Most of the houses in the neighborhood we went to had stairs to the front door. My sweet boy couldn’t see going down the stairs in his mask so I carried it the whole night. :/ At least he loved it and can wear it when he isn’t climbing stairs. :)