My son asked for a Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder version) costume this year and I wasn’t happy with anything I found, so I started brainstorming. I scoured Goodwill for pieces and searched the fabric store for suitable materials. Here’s how I put it all together.
Coat – I found this at Goodwill, in women’s size 14. This really stretched my sewing skills, but I successfully took it in to fit him, but keep the needed length (just don’t look inside!).
Vest – I bought a vest at Goodwill and made a new front to mimic the double breasted vest in the movie. The flower fabric came from a Goodwill dress. Buttons were expensive and are difficult to work with, so I used snaps and glued on beads to look like the two rows of buttons on the real vest.
Hat – I lucked out with this at the Halloween store.
Pants – Goodwill, just needed hemmed.
Shoes – Standard brown dress shoes.
Cane – We bought a hooked cane at the Halloween store and made a new topper. I’m lucky to have access to a 3D printer, but my plan B was to use white tape.
He absolutely loved it and won a local costume contest!